If you enjoy recipes like this, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App, it’s available for both Android and iPhone and has free and paid versions. The app is loaded with thousands of allergy-friendly & vegan recipes/cooking tips, has hundreds of search filters and features like bookmarking, meal plans and more! The app shows you how having diet/health/food preferences can be full of delicious abundance rather than restrictions!
Sliders have evolved to include pretty much anything served on a tiny bun. We took a plant-based approach with this recipe by using nothing but chickpeas, BBQ sauce and a few seasonings to create the savory, delicious filling on these bad boys. These are best served with this pineapple slaw to add just the right amount of sweetness and crunch for an irresistible party snack or summery dinnertime dish.
BBQ Chickpea Sliders [Vegan]
For the BBQ Chickpeas:
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- 12 whole wheat slider buns
- Roasted sunflower seeds for serving, optional
For the Pineapple Slaw:
- 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, torn
- 1/2 tablespoon agave
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To Make the BBQ Chickpeas:
- Add the chickpeas, BBQ sauce, garlic powder, and chili powder to a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly and smashing about half of the chickpeas with the back of a fork or slotted spoon.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time if the mixture starts sticking to the bottom of the saucepan. Remove from heat and season with salt to taste.
To Make the Pineapple Slaw:
- Combine the mashed avocado, pineapple, cilantro, agave, lime juice, and apple cider vinegar in a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine, adding a bit of water to thin as necessary.
- Once you have a nice creamy dressing, stir in the cabbage, toss to thoroughly combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
To Assemble the Sliders:
- Spread a spoonful of the BBQ chickpeas on the bottom portion of a whole wheat slider bun. Top with a scoop of pineapple slaw and sprinkle with roasted sunflower seeds for some extra crunch, if desired.
Book design by Page Street Publishing Co.
Photography by Allie Lehman
Cover design by Mette Hornung Rankin
EXPLORE MORE RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS: